Wednesday, May 02, 2012

Ya need a date, stud?

That's right. I went there.

I'm entirely willing to pimp myself out for a date. And I'm not ashamed of it.


I'll give it all up. For one date. Only have an hour? No problem! I'll Give. It. Up.

....As long as it's wrapped in bacon.


I know, it's been done before. 

But I just couldn't help myself.


Bacon wrapped dates. Who doesn't love bacon? Who doesn't love dates? Who doesn't love bacon and dates together? There's a reason it's been done before.


Even when I was a vegetarian I still loved bacon. I craved it. I needed it. I didn't eat it.

But I do now. And I will continue to do so now. Why you ask? Let me make this clear: Because I love bacon.

I know all bacon = good. But seriously, get yourself some good bacon. Something thick cut, smoky, salty, and local. Stage makes incredible bacon - if you live on Vancouver Island you can pick it up at the restaurant or at The Market on Yates. Just get yourself some good bacon. A few pitted dates. And the best blue cheese your local cheese maker can put together. And then hold on to your butt. Because you are about to go on the best date of your life...Ow! Ow!

Bacon Wrapped Dates
Ingredients:

10 Strips of Bacon, cut in half.
20 Medjool Dates, pitted.
20 Marcona Almonds (if unavailable, sub whole blanched).
4 Oz Blue Cheese, crumbled.
1 Batch Balsamic Reduction.

What to Do:

Easy peasy lemon squeezy! Pre-heat your oven to 350 degrees F & line a baking sheet with aluminum foil. If you like, you can lightly spray with non-stick spray.

Carefully slide 1 or 2 almonds inside the center of the dates.

Wrap each date in a piece of bacon and secure with a toothpick. Place on prepared baking sheet. Place in oven and cook 15-20 minutes, or until bacon is crispy.

Remove from the oven, plate, sprinkle with cheese & top with a drizzle or two of balsamic reduction.

Die of exquisite bacon goodness.

Eat.

Photobucket

This post is linked up with Whole Foods Wednesday; Cast Party Wednesday; Tastetastic Thursday; Full Plate Thursday; Simple Lives Thursday; Fight Back Friday; Fresh Bites Friday; Seasonal Celebration Sunday;  The Hearth & Soul Blog Hop via The 21st Century Housewife; Tasty Tuesdays; Slightly Indulgent Tuesday; Tuesday Talent Show;

18 comments:

  1. Drooling just a bit here. I too, LOVE bacon. We have a fantastic smokehouse about 20 miles north of here and their bacon is, well... to quote Ralphie's dad, indescribeably beautiful! I'll be filing this one. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oooh... smoky bacon makes my heart happy. and fat, likely. ;)

      K.

      Delete
  2. Hell ya bacon and dates. Speaking of dates... A platonic one is required I believe! Tapa Bar perhaps?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. absolutely. also, i look forward to my dinner tonight :)

      K.

      Delete
  3. Ooooh yum! I love dates but never thought to pair them with bacon! I grew up eating cheesy dates, which were dates filled with cheddar cheese slices. The story goes that my great-grandma found a recipe that involved a cream cheese filling for the dates, but only had cheddar on hand, so that's what she used and it's been part of our holiday traditions since I can remember.

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ooooh cheesy dates! i would have never thought. great-grandmas are wonderful gems, aren't they? thank YOU for sharing!

      K.

      Delete
  4. I'm actually licking the bacon pictures on my screen right now... super delicious

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i hope that's your computer you're on and not mine ;)

      K.

      Delete
  5. These look amazing, absolutely amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These look really good, I will have to try these! I would love if you would share this and any other posts at Showcase Your Talent Thursday http://whatscookinglove.blogspot.com/2012/05/showcase-your-talent-thursday-6.html. I hope to see you there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i'l swing by Alyssa - thank you kindly for the invite!

      K.

      Delete
  7. Seriously my mouth started to water the instant I saw these. Can I just say there is a major difference between awesome balsamic and store bought. I get mine from olive tap online the four leaf, hello top shelf, awesome balsamic. If you haven't had fantastic balsamic and don't know what all the fuss is about try this one. (No need to reduce this one) Also, love the medjool dates nothing else will do, but I may try this with a pecan instead. Guess what I'm eaten tonight!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i totally agree. Top shelf balsamic is the shit. I get mine from a local wine producer called Venturi Schulze. It's insane. Anyone who thinks balsamic vinegar is vinegar and that's that is sadly mistaken. I'd love to try yours - where do you get it?

      K.

      Delete
  8. Mouthwateringly convincing...;-) Thank you very much for sharing this with us on Seasonal Celebration Sunday! Rebecca @ Natural Mothers Network x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks for stopping by Rebecca! always nice to see you.

      K.

      Delete
  9. These sound absolutely wicked! The flavour combinations are literally making my mouth water as I type this. I adore dates but I never thought of serving them like this. I cannot wait to try this recipe!

    ReplyDelete