Tuesday, January 24, 2012

RPI: Mango Infused Crepes w/ Stawberries & Bananas

The Lowdown:

This is the first installment of Rock, Paper, Ingredient (RPI), which is a clever little scheme devised to expand mine and Kristy's culinary adventures. You can, of course, get the formal description from the Rock, Paper, Ingredient sub-heading on the menu bar. Version 1.0 of RPI required that we use mango in one of our creations. I dont' really care for mangoes. That's right, I said it. They are pure evil to peel (unless you know the handy dandy trick), they have a weird odor, and they take over the flavour of pretty much everything. However, through many failures, I have learned how to disguise the flavour of many ingredients and force people to eat things that they don't even know they are eating. I'm so devious. But seriously, if you'd just eat your damn mushrooms I wouldn't have to hide them in everything! Ya, so, anyway.

After a few attempts at some other recipes that utilized mango, I was drawing a blank. The other recipes would suffice, but they just didn't have the right feel to them. Don't get me wrong, there were no leftovers, so they must have been good. However, they lacked the creative edge that I wanted to display for the RPI Version 1.0. Then, like everything else that I devise, inspiration came in the oddest place - Bob Marley's, "Sun is Shining." Don't ask me how mango infused crepes relate to Bob Marley, or the Sun is Shining, but for whatever reason, they do in my odd little world.

The Playlist:
1 cup Wholewheat flour.
1/2 tsp Salt.
2 Eggs.
1/2 cup milk (I substituted soy milk because I'm a lacto).
1/2 cup water.
2 tbsp vegetable oil.
1 Mango, cubed.
1 tbsp Oil (for frying).
12 Strawberries (my lucky number).
2 Bananas
The Skinny:
  1. Place flour and salt into a large mixing bowl.
  2. Blend mango and milk until smooth.
  3. Add mango/milk mixture, oil, and eggs into the flour.
  4. Mix until no flour clumps remain.
  5. Slowly add water and mix until desired consistency.
  6. Heat oil in a shallow frying pan on medium heat (crepe pan if you have one).
  7. Pour 1/3 - 1/2 cup of the crepe mixture into the pan and tilt in circular motions.
  8. Cook the crepe on either side for 1 - 2 minutes.
  9. Place fruit inside and roll.
  10. Garnish as desired.

     H

    This post is linked up with This Chick Cooks

    No comments:

    Post a Comment